Monday, September 17, 2012

A Very Lucky Landscape.

I call it lucky, because it reeaally, really is! I think this is the very first landscape I've completed that has made it into a frame instead of quickly being covered up with whatever color of paint I have nearest me [because I can't bear another moment of looking at it]! So this is indeed a major accomplishment for me.

We took a trip out to Kenosha Pass about a week ago to see the Aspens starting to change colors. We knew we were hitting it a liiittle early, but we wanted to make sure we got the chance to see at least SOME of it before this baby comes and all of a sudden those pretty yellow leaves were gone. Luckily, it was still gorgeous. And we're hoping to take another drive sometime in the next week - as long as labor isn't kicking in.

All that to say, the Aspens have inspired me to NOT throw away this latest landscape painting.

I actually used a lot of plastic bags to texture over the whole canvas - starting with the dark background colors, and moving on to the yellows of the tree tops.


After my hands were completely covered in paint and I was satisfied with the 25% that actually made it onto the canvas, I added all the tree trunks. I started with a pretty fine brush to do the narrow trees in the background, and moved on to bigger brushes as I came into the foreground - making the trees slightly lighter at the same time.


I added lots of branches, knots, and lines to the tree trunks - trying to make them look a little more 'Aspen-y.' After a little fine tuning and a few added details to the tree tops, that was it!





Can't wait to go back!!


Kara Spicuzza Welborn

Colorado Aspens
16x20 [20x24 with frame]
framed and ready to hang
acrylics by BASICS
brushes by Princeton Art & Brush Co.
contact user email address for purchase
$179


No comments:

Post a Comment