Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Colored Water.

When I was in Bali, I spent a good amount of time with watercolors. I didn't bring my paints, and all anyone else had that I could borrow, was watercolor. Nothing against watercolors - I love them. But they can be the most frustrating thing ever. A straight line that stays put? Yeah right. That guys eye? Just faded 75% from when you last looked. Picked up your piece before it was dry? The dreaded water runs. Ayy yi-yi.

But, when you get those waters just right. Oh momma, it can be great. So, with more traumatic experiences than I'd like to admit, at least something good came out of it. Though this time I wasn't actually using your typical children's palette of primary watercolors, I went wild with my water and big brushes.


I tried to trace out his features in white to get the perspective right before I totally went for it. I went over it again in black, made some corrections, and worked on the shading.




So, since I was in Bali while working on my watercolor skills, it only seemed appropriate to paint a Balinese fisherman. I'm really happy with how the colors turned out - there are real water spots! [And not just ones that happened by accident. So, that's a plus, ha!]

Hope you enjoy!


Kara Spicuzza Welborn

Colored Water
18x24 [22.5 x 28.5 with frame]
framed and ready to hang
acrylics by BASICS
brushes by Princeton Art & Brush Co.
contact user email address for purchase
$230


No comments:

Post a Comment